Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yeah....AFRICA!

Sorry I'm so behind on my posts, yes I am still alive and well but Internet has been an issue for me and I haven't had any online access for days...funny how we take things like that for granted back home! I've been saving up my posts so I'll post them in a row.

This is my posting from Friday, January 21st

********
Ahh......AFRICA!!

Arriving at the airport in Ghana you step off the plane and into a steep staircase to walk down to the tarmac and the moment you leave the plane it hits you.......HOT and MUGGY and HUMID...words cannot explain it so I won't even try....(if you ever catch me referring to Kelowna weather as "Africa Hot" slap me.....as there is absolutely no comparison! LOL!!)

You then climb onto a bus to take your to the airport terminal and I am happy to report that ALL of our luggage showed up! YEAH!  A good sign for the start of our trip.

Then we went through customs as a group and we were waved straight through - they didn't even check our passports, one of the perks of travelling in a large group!

The veterans in our group warned us to expect the worst as it was going to be chaos as soon as we excited the airport and we all braced ourselves to fight off the locals wanting to help with our luggage, but we didn't experience any of that, not at all, in fact it was quite pleasant.  Our contact from CUA (Ghana's Central Credit Union) was waiting for us with 2 vans to transport us to our hotel...it was great....HOT....but great!

We made it to our hotel, The Paloma (a different one then the coaches have stayed at in the past) and we all went to our rooms to have a shower...after 2 full days of travelling it felt fantastic!!

Then we met in the courtyard for a beer (which is pretty much the same price as a pop here!).  I had a large Gulder (a Ghanian beer).

What can I say.....other than great company....we've done it...We're in AFRICA!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment