Friday, January 27, 2012

You are most welcome.....

And back to Muzuzu we go.....

We had a great start to our day, we received word that Itai's daughter was doing better...I was so relieved! She has now developed an ear infection so I shared with Itai some tips I had as my son suffered from chronic ear infections for years...it was nice to bond with her about our children.

We finished up our report for the Karonga Teachers' SACCO today and we sat outside under a big tree with the Board and Management to present our recommendations at their board meeting. It was really lovely sitting outside, I remarked how we would never hold a board meeting outside at my credit union in Canada....it felt very African! I can honestly say I was living in the moment and enjoying every minute of it! Zikomo Kwambini (thank you very much :)

One of the things I love about Malawians is the way they say things....if you enquire if you can ask them a question they reply with: Yes, you are most welcome....it is so lovely and they say it a lot...hmmm...and I thought Canadians were polite, the Malawians have us totally beat.

Ohhhhh....what a GREAT moment I had today!! I can hardly wait to tell you about it....<BIG SMILE!>

We were on our way back to Muzuzu (YES, we saw the monkeys again!!..well they were actually baboons I think but I just love to say MONKEY! HA!) and our driver, Ezekiel pulled over so I could get yet another picture of the beautiful landscape...and a small group of children came running over to see the Muzungo (the white ones!) hahaha....I asked if I could take their picture and of course they said YES, so I had Ezekiel take my picture with them.....they were so tiny so I kneeled down to be close to them and they all mimicked me and kneeled down too, right there on the road they were kneeling beside me while we had our picture taken...they were SOOOO CUTE!!! It was amazing.......I then crouched down again to show them the display on my camera so they could see themselves, they laughed and laughed.....and I felt a little hand reach over and touch my white ankle.....just a quick little poke to see what the Muzungo's skin felt like.....hahaha.....it was so GREAT! I love Africa, and these beautiful children!

I can honestly say that I have experienced the “Warm Heart of Africa” and it is beautiful my friends, just beautiful!

P.S. I also got to cross yet another item off my bucket list this trip...I saw my very first firefly! ( I know, sheltered life...but I was thrilled to finally see one after 29 years LOL! :)

Tionana Mawa (see you tomorrow)
Heidi in Muzuzu



2 comments:

  1. Yeah right, 29 years eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great stories Heidi. Thank you for sharing them with us and keeping us up to date on your journey. I almost feel like I am there through your comments .. maybe one day :) Enjoy your journey, looking forward to the next update. Michelle

    ReplyDelete